Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Birthday Card

How birthdays are celebrated in Malaysia?

In Malaysia,seconds to midnight is the time we will be waiting most.All birthday celebrations family members and friends gather together to enjoy food. They may sing along together or play musical instruments. Friends or relatives who visit give presents to the person celebrating their birthday or they may give an ang-bao. This is a small red packet filled with money. If relatives do not know what to buy, the money is a good present.

At about 16 when teenagers start to invite boys and girls to their parties there is lots of dancing and games to help find a partner. They often make up their own games so that everyone eventually finds their own partner. The trick is always to have the same numbers of boys and girls! At 18 birthdays are celebrated with family members or people may go to the movies with their boy/girlfriend. At 21 people usually have a big party.

At all birthday celebrations people have birthday cake with candles and they sing the Happy Birthday song in English, Chinese or Malay.

How am i going to modify the original birthday card?


Nothing much to modify the card because the layout is simple.So,what am I going to do is to just change the font of the birthday wish,the background color,a little bit more stars and lastly the local culture elements at the back of the font
.

This is the earlier skecth of the card



I choose the hand held fan as a local element to be fit into the birthday card.The fan being used by chinese people for many years especially in Melaka,the Baba and Nyonya oldies.It has lots of different size and pattern.




CARD IN THE MAKING OF:STEP 1


I create few rectangles using rectangle tools and fill it with different colors just like in a screenshot.Then,i resize those rectangles randomly and make it vertically positioned.


CARD IN THE MAKING OF:STEP 2


I create another rectangle and apply the filter affect to create a new shape.I use transparency tool and apply the screen effect so it would match with the background colors.

CARD IN THE MAKING OF:STEP 3


Next i create a gradient for later use.


CARD IN THE MAKING OF:STEP 4


I paste the gardient layer onto the main workspace.I type out the birthday wish using text tool and a font that may shows the joy we could had on the day.I stylize the fonts by applying drop shadows effect.



CARD IN THE MAKING OF:STEP 5


I create a new layer to make the star's shape using star tool.Different size of stars would look even better compared then a single n big stars.So,i decided to make lots of stars and later duplicate it.Then I apply the screen effect to the stars.Next i draw the local element(hand held fan) using brush tool,after applying distort and transform effects,I place it at the back of the birthday wish.


CARD IN THE MAKING OF:FINAL STEP 6


I type out the greeting words and here we are.The front side of the card.


BIRTHDAY CARD:STEP 7



Next i create a new document A3 size,landscaped position.I drag the related layers from the card's front side document and paste it into the new created document.Then I resize it accordingly using transform tool.I select the background layer,the colourful part and select flying menu options and choose duplicate selected layers.And there,we have another background created for the card's greeting part.


BIRTHDAY CARD:STEP 8


I create a star using star tool.I create 3-5 stars at first and later I get those star's layer duplicated with different sizes,directions and blending mode being applied.

BIRTHDAY CARD:FINAL STEP

The final step,I make sure the path of the front and greeting part are inside the workspace.Lastly I type out the greeting words.


BIRTHDAY CARD:FINAL LOOK


This is the final view and free to be commented.





1 comment: